Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Almost Single by Advaita Kala

 


For the first time, I realised that be it  Bhatinda or Kerala, the mothers of single women nearing 30 speaks almost the same language. ' Mama Bhatia ', the mother of Aisha Bhatia, the protagonist resembles my mother too strongly and there are times I  had to pinch myself to make sure that it was not my mom who was speaking.


I never had the intention of buying this book when I came across it. I  used to frequent book stores when I am depressed and I chanced upon this  book during one such visit. Went through many books and  the huge amount printed on the cover literally threw cold waters on my  strong inclination to buy a book. But this one was different. It's  title lured me. Besides the price was comparatively low .That's how I bought Advaita Kala's ' Almost Single'.


I would definitely not call this a master work or great piece of art. It is a book which has been written in a simple language and  absolutely apt for casual reading. There is no plot as such. It is the  story of Aisha Bhatia from Bhatinda along with her two friends who are on a groom hunt, to be precise, it would not be wrong if I say ' NRI  groom hunt'. ( One friend just got a divorce and the  other is on a search ).


 As far as Aisha is concerned, unlike her  friends she did not want to flow with the age old tradition of groom  hunting whether it be through social networking sites or by  conventional methods. Her faith eventually triumphs at the end as she  falls for Karan, an NRI. The story concludes with hero and heroine coming together just like a typical bollywood movie.


If you are somebody who needs food for thought after reading a  book, Almost Single is just not for you. You wont get anything serious  out of it. Keeping all those seriousness aside, if you need a light  reading while you are travelling or mired in depression, this could be  a perfect remedy.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes I just want to enter another world and not have to think! Nice review.

    ReplyDelete

Why do I read Mary Higgins Clark's books?

When you are so entangled in mundane things and frivolous animosities, it is always good to read something that can take you to a different ...